‘Pollo asado con papas fritas + jugo de naranja’ in Salento, Colombia
1. Don’t miss the Zona Cafetaria (Armenia, Salento) – my favorite region!
2. I loved Medellin city the most. There’s something about the city!
3. Food: Try ‘arepas con queso’. Don’t miss ‘Crepes y Waffles’ restaurant – AMAZING!
4. Cali is salsa capital of the world! Take a crash course in salsa or Spanish lessons
5. Santa Marta is strictly OK, but I loved Cartagena and of course, Parque Nacional Tayrona.
6. Cali is a bit commercialized, although I only spent 2 days here so can’t judge it so well.
7. Scuba diving is supposed to be great and cheap, up north in Taganga.
8. Shop for apparel. The styles, collections and prices are too good to resist.
9. In Medellin, take the metro which doubles up into a ropeway at no additional cost.
(The Street of) Avenida Paulista in Sao Paulo
1. Learn to speak Portuguese – the best advice ever!
2. Pick up a pre-paid phone card if in the country for 2 weeks+ … just $5
3. Eat lotsa acai, Drink Guarana Antarctica and caipirinhas!
4. The metro in most major cities rocks! Use it everywhere u need to go, besides buses.
5. Throughout the country, restaurants serve food by the ‘qilo‘ – buy it buffet style and pay by weight…
– It’s great, and you’ll save a lot of money + get to taste a wider range of food!
6. Buy a pair of Havaianas
7. Always greet women with a single-cheek peck/kiss. How tough is that?! 😀 On both sides in Rio though!
8. In Sao Paulo, visit the Santander building for a free panoramic view of the city.
9. Don’t go home without a heli-tour of Rio, around Christ the Redeemer. Costs ~ $100, totally worth it.
10. In Rio de Janeiro, I’d say skip Copacabana and stay in Ipanema/Leblon.