If you want to experience the best of rural Indian culture (especially Maharashtrian cuisine), please do yourself a big favor and head to the Mahalaxmi Saras expo at MMRDA Grounds in BKC, Bandra East, Mumbai starting 22nd January this year!
Back in 2014, on the morning of 31st of December, my aunt casually mentioned to me about this expo – and while most of my friends were looking forward to grand NYE plans, i was sold on the simplicity of getting to experience some authentic ‘gaavran‘ (rural cuisine) and handicrafts from across India under one roof, making it a melting pot of cultures and indigenous cuisines.
Since then, i’ve been looking forward to Saras every single year!
UPDATE!! (REVISED DATES)
Sneak preview of what you could expect:
What is ‘hurda’ and how to have it
An initiative of the Government of Maharashtra to provide a marketing platform to rural entrepreneurs and artisans, Mahalaxmi Saras is an annual exhibition-cum-sale of handicrafts, handlooms and food products.
In its 16th year now, Mahalaxmi Saras 2019 will be held from
22nd January – 4th February, 2019 at BKC, Mumbai.
Mahalaxmi Saras 2019 – My Tips & Picks
- Try the freshly roasted hurda at Stall NO. 24
- Ensure you get fresh stuff – offer to wait for fresh food being prepared.
- This year, i’ve been here twice, and the second visit was with my friend, Chef Amrita Kaur. We tried some yum new things including ‘dikli‘ – which looks like a vegetarian patrani machchi – essentially it is rava soaked in imli (tamarind) water overnight, along with spices and onion and garlic and then steamed atop a jamun leaf, which beautifully blends together all the khatta-meetha-teekha flavors.
- The other unique thing we found was ‘maas vadi‘ or besanvadi – besan stuffed with onion, white til and spices.
- For dinner, i joined my cousins and my aunt (the hero who first introduced me to Mahalaxmi Saras!) and our favorite at the table was a ‘khava poli‘ – think puran poli, but made with khava instead!
- Try some authentic Goan food at the Streeshakti NRLM Stall (my favorite was the chicken xacuti with pao).
- Stuff i shopped for included bamboo spoons & some yummy dried wild apple at the Nagaland stall, wheat puffs, ber (fruit) and of course, a cloth bag to dump it all in.
Saras 2017 Vlog by Arun (fellow blogger)
महाराष्ट्र टाइम्स Online: महालक्ष्मी ‘सरस’ प्रदर्शन २०१९
For more information and updates about the event,
check out the official website at MahalaxmiSaras.com
I’ll be visiting the expo regularly while it is on, and sharing live stories on my Instagram, so don’t forget to follow me there!
How to reach: When you enter BKC, take the left at McDonald’s
Timings: 10 am – 10 pm
Recommended / Best times: 11:00 am – 01 pm / 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm)
Mahalaxmi Saras is on till 4th Feb, 2019.
Happy Shopping, Bon appetit & have fun!