The original plan to spend my friend Teenzy’s birthday was a weekend getaway in Pune – but an evening at the Bandra Wine Festival made us instantly change that to Nashik instead, since both of us are ardent vino lovers!
Her colleague suggested spending a sundowner evening at York Winery… and it was perhaps the best tip ever.
Not only are York’s wines beautifully crafted, but the location and setting of their vineyard is simply unbeatable – with a sprawling 9 acre property set against the gorgeous backdrop of the Godavari basin.
Lush landscapes, idyllic setting, award winning wines, authentic and simple cuisine…
we couldn’t have possibly asked for anything better!
But being shown around the property along with a tasting flight of all wines by Kailash Gurnani, one of the owners of YORK Winery (and the ‘K’ in the coined name) + a fantastic AirBNB stay were the cherries on top.
Back home in less than 3 hours, we’re regaling in this joyous epiphany induced by the wine:
Maharashtra = the California of India
Nashik = Napa Valley
Make It Happen:
Nashik Weekend Getaway from Mumbai
* Costs: Fuel ~ Rs.3,500 for petrol ex-Dadar + Stay from Rs.1,000 per head per night. Food & drinks as per preference.
* Basic Itinerary: Arrive early on Day 1 to familiarize with the region, spend Day 2 in the vineyards, explore Nashik on Day 3.
* What To Carry: Light clothes, cam, lip balm. Ladies, dress modestly as Nashik is relatively conservative.
* Company: Check out this upcoming group tour by my friends at Magic Cellars…
More Updates Coming
- Things to do in and around Nashik
- Suggested itinerary for a 3-day extended weekend getaway from Mumbai
- Where to Stay, What to Eat, When to Go!
Cheers and Happy Travels!
(Please do not drink and drive. it’s stupid and not worth it).